5 Steps to learning more about sustainable textiles.
I’ve designed the STSC website to give designers quick access to the massive amounts of information that I’ve learnt over the years about sustainable, biodegradable, circular fashion textiles?
I feel it’s important to share so designers can use it as a resource to learn as much as possible, and as quickly as possible, to help brands pivot fast as we move into this exciting new direction of sustainable and circular fashion and to help capture the growing number of customers asking for action.
I’ve amassed a huge range of fabrics over the last two & a half years by working closely with wholesale fabric Mills and Artisan groups to be able to offer a range of several hundred different fabrics to suit various price points and target markets and to offer both large and low MOQs.
So prior to sending us a new enquiry, here are the essential Steps required to purchase STSC textiles. 🌍 We ship worldwide from Sydney but mostly direct from our Mill partners in Japan, India and Indonesia to minimise our carbon footprint.
First step is to download the four different Sustainable Textile Books: they hare packed with full details on the fabric specs, prices, MOQs etc, to understand which fabrics we offer and any MOQ restrictions and how we try to accommodate this.
I'm updating Books all the time and so notification of Updates come via the Facebook Sustainable Textile Club plus our Newsletter.
Do a deep-dive on the various Textile Information pages plus learn how to "talk sustainable". It’s also important to understand the fabric production for when you get to your own PR and marketing - feel free to grab any of this information and share as your own. The more we share the more we educate and elevate the fashion industry for the better.
Go to the various SHOPS pages to see gallery pages (uploading more all the time) plus scroll through the @stscsustainabletextiles Instagram and Facebook pages and join the Sustainable Textiles Club where I share updates all the time. https://www.sustainabletextiles.club/clubs
Read the FAQs and T&Cs under ABOUT as it’s crucial to understand the costs and parameters but also the estimated timeframes to ensure we don't cause undue stress to anyone and fall into the fast fashion expectations that do not support workers lives.
HOW TO ORDER FABRICS....:
- Purchase Sample Books online - (I can offer bespoke Sample Books only for 1000+m orders)
- Purchase LOW MOQ fabrics available via the online SHOP listings for a growing variety of fabrics.
- Purchase via a PO: If ordering 20 metres & above send a Purchase Order Form to receive an invoice. Through this process I can also quickly discuss your order and adapt to fulfill requirements and supply further information.
FOR FABRICS WITH HIGH MOQ RESTRICTIONS:
Some Mills require 1000-8000 metre MOQ minimum order quantities. Designers can either purchase the full MOQ requirement or nominate to be included in an EOI Expression of Interest Order to be part of a collaborative order. There are no timeframe guarantees - you will be contacted when the MOQ quota is reached.
OTHER WAYS TO PURCHASE:
We have some LOW MOQ stock already in Sydney and growing, these can be purchased via the AVAILABLE NOW page and shipped worldwide
Visit the Consultancy page to learn more about additional design, manufacturing, dyeing and eco-printing services.
Any fabrics NOT on these lists will incur a Development Fee.
And don’t forget to Join the Sustainable Textile Club for updates on the Facebook page
WHOLESALE FABRIC & SERVICE TIMEFRAMES.
- Fabric Q&A - the response time to queries may take 1-2 weeks (at this stage there is only one of me). Queries coming via a Purchase Order are much faster because its likely you know what we offer and how we work.
- Timeframes for sending Sample Books and fabric samples is approx 30 days depending on availability - again, its tricky as the Books may need to be made and shipped, or I may need to wait for a full production run to secure sample fabrics (depends on the order MOQ) ie. could be faster but allow at least 30 days.
- Sample runs (for Low MOQs) - 30-90 days from Mill after receiving 100% payment (issues same as above).
- Production runs (large MOQs (7-60 days) from Mill after receiving 30%-100% deposit. In some instances we require the Mill to send a Production Sample once finished the full production for final approval. 100% full payment plus courier costs is required prior to its release. The Mills and STSC do not hold open accounts. SHIPPING.
STSC have an amazing Shipping Agent and we do not use a client's Courier Account. It is enormously time consuming and so far unsuccessful to allow clients to arrange shipping due to a variety of courier security restrictions. You can get a comparative quote, but I guarantee my Agent is faster and the best.
WE ARE ALL LEARNING....
Given the enormous amount of variables brought about by dealing with hundreds of fabrics and multiple Mills, there will always be adjustments - but as we grow the industry we hope to have more and more fabrics available and stories to share of our farming and artisan communities, Mills, makers, dyers and eco-printers who are all the backbone of this push to support the health of the environment and the people, and the reason why I support them and love working with them.